Remote Desktop Connection to a Virtual Machine(Hyper) with SSH and Port Forwarding

Japedo

Hello,

I have installed Hyper-V on my Windows 10 machines and on them is a Virtual Machine shortcut (VM). I want to use Remote Desktop Control, a program that is already pre-installed, to connect from outside my local network. For example, if I am at school or somewhere else, that I can use Remote Desktop Control to access my local computer, which is located at home. Of course there are easier things like Teamviewer, but it should be done via remote desktop.

I have installed a Putty(client) and FreeSSHd(server).

On the Virtual Machine I have configured a Static IP address, which means that when I restart the Virtual Machine, the IP address will not change.

I know that I have to configure in freeSSHd, transfer a part of this configuration in Putty, then add the port of Remote Desktop in my router at "Port Forwarding", so that I can access my local machine from outside my local network.

I have looked at heaps of videos, articles I just do not get a connection between Putty and FreeSSHd together, so how I configure both and what values I where and how must transfer in both programs. Port forwarding doesn't matter for now, because as long as I'm not able to configure Putty and freeSSHd correctly, I can forget about port forwarding. I am not an adminisstrator and also not specialized in any IT area, I am one could say a puppy . I would be very happy if you could explain me step by step how to configure freeSSHd and what information I have to transfer from freeSSHd to Putty.

I thank you for any contribution and apologize in advance for my half knowledge, my inability to implement things that seem simple to you.

I am using https://www.zerotier.com/ for exactly that purpose daily.

Install the client on your laptop (I assume) and in your VM. Create a (cost free) account on https://accounts.zerotier.com/ and create a PRIVATE network, you will get a network ID, consisting of letters and numbers. Use that ID to join the network from the clients. "Auth"orise the clients in the web interface. Once the clients are joined, they can reach each other if ZT runs, with ALL protocols available, with RDP too.

ZT creates a new network interface, so make sure to set the firewall of the VM accordingly, permitting RDP incoming.

Have fun and use RDP from anywhere, with the IP staying the same all the time, without any SSH stuff.

This is btw also possible with tablets or smartphones, there are ZT apps for both OSes.

Fun fact: through ZT, even SMB "over the internet" is possible and secure, a BIG nogo without the layer of encryption ZT offers.

Back