mySql or microsoft sql

Vindsan

Hello I need to buy a database server license. So my requirements are save some production data in the server. It should be accessed by different people on the network including employees from two different continents. And also the usual features like safety using backup etc. I know I can do this with microsoft sql server because I have done it before. But what about mySql. Can I achieve this with the free version of mySql or do I need to buy some special licenses. Thank you.

To figure out if you need MS SQL server or if MySQL/PostgreSQL will suffice you need to evaluate your situation. There are some million users of the latter and they are quite happy with it and with not paying thousands of $/year for the database server.

I assume that there are only rare use cases where MS SQL offers features MySQL/PostgreSQL do not provide and the single most reason to use MS SQL is imo, that some software has a mandatory system requirement for it. In such case MySQL/PostgreSQL can not be used as a drop-in replacement, because on a technical level a database server is a unique piece of software, for which the software which is using it has to be specially adapted to.

Last edited:
Create a local VM with the operating system you want to use, install database servers MySQL and MSSQL, run your program and see in your logs what does not work for you. Then you can decide which one you should take.

But what about mySql. Can I achieve this with the free version of mySql or do I need to buy some special licenses.
Yes you can, but if you need any sort of support or any of the enterprise-features, then you have to buy an enterprise-license.
So check what features your app needs, check what kind of support you need, and then choose your license accordingly.

To figure out if you need MS SQL server or if MySQL/PostgreSQL will suffice you need to evaluate your situation. There are some million users of the latter and they are quite happy with it and with not paying thousands of $/year for the database server.

I assume that there are only rare use cases where MS SQL offers features MySQL/PostgreSQL do not provide and the single most reason to use MS SQL is imo, that some software has a mandatory system requirement for it. In such case MySQL/PostgreSQL can not be used as a drop-in replacement, because on a technical level a database server is a unique peace of software, for which the software which is using it has to be specially adapted to.
I am not sure what does this mean? What is imo in MS SQL? Thank you.

In my experience there are only a few and mostly exotic cases where your software supports *both* MYSQL and MSSQL. As the latter is more enterprise-centric, you'll mostly see applications supporting MSSQL together with SYBASE or SQLPLUS, OR Mysql with Postgres.

The few cases where I have actually seen both listed for the same product, is generally when the product is ORM-based, meaning that the actual database is mapped through a compatibility layer. This usually also means that the developer doesn't use any exotic or dialect-specific features, so that you can safely pick any of the recommended options depending on your experience and environment.
If we are talking a new database setup without prior knowledge of any of the solutions and cost is more important than support, go with MariaDB (a Mysql fork), or Postgres if supported. Both are great databases for most use-cases and have an active community and lots of documentations/guides for all possible cases. If support matters and you are fine with either Windows or Linux, my personal preference would be a Linux distro that includes operational support for shipped applications (e.g. Redhat)

Usually it's not a great idea to access a database directly over the pond, SQL applications usually don't appreciate the incurred latency. It's usually better to run the application closer to the database server and stream/host the application from a localized server. You may stumble over read-replication on some documents, but they are by nature generally not synchronous which is a great way to destroy your data consistency.

Backups work about the same in all SQL Dialects, dump as an SQL Export through the integrated tools and then store preferably off-server.

Back